In order to understand why wood is one of the most popular materials utilised in the construction of internal doors, it is important to understand some of the necessary features required of internal doors. Internal doors apart from providing privacy, need to effectively minimize sound propagation between rooms, provide proper insulation, and add to the overall visual impression of your interior space. Indeed some of the some of the factors we look at when choosing interior doors include durability, safety and insulation. With solid oak doors you’re able to tick all of these boxes, and oak really is the best natural material for offering strength, durability and style, but let’s look at all of the options available.
The wood used for the interior door can either be from hardwood trees such as walnut, poplar, ash and oak all of which are dark and have a richer grainier finish. Additionally, it can also be sourced from softwoods such as cypress fir and pine which are cheaper and have a less veined finish. The following are some of the advantages of using wood as the material for your internal doors compared to steel or fibreglass.
- Natural wood is one of the most hard-wearing materials you can ever expect to find. Nowadays with the advent of advanced treatment methods, wood is able to resist fungi and termites which mean prolonged life-span and durability.
- The ability to use different types of wood, finishes and styles makes it the ideal material to create a custom, personalized style that can easily match with your interior decor. This kind of versatility is what isn’t present with other door materials such as steel and fibreglass.
- Natural wood is a great material when it comes to optimising energy efficiency because it is reusable and recyclable. Additionally, it is extremely capable of reducing CO2 emission and hence reducing the carbon footprint.
- Natural wood is robust and has the ability to guide against sudden changes of temperature in the interior space. This feature makes wood an excellent material in the construction of fire doors hence improving general safety in the house.
- Natural wood is very waterproof and can be used in wet areas such as bathrooms, toilets and kitchens.
- Wood is made up organic compound known as cellulose capable of absorbing a large amount of energy from waves that pass through it. This acts as a good acoustic quality that is excellent for soundproofing in your interior space.
So there you have it, these are just a few of the reasons why you should invest in quality solid oak internal doors for your home. They will not only last for centuries, they’ll develop even more character with age. This is why they’re labelled ‘utterly timeless’! Oak really will never go out of style and you can mark our words on that.